Homepage > Tourism > Monuments and Sights

Monuments and Sights



The History of the Town

The History of the Town

The first written record of Mikulov dates back to 1173. The population of Mikulov was 2,500 in 1414, at which time the town was comprised of a relatively small centre enclosed by ramparts with large suburbs outside the walls. Fires in the inner town in 536 and 1561 almost entirely destroyed the town’s Gothic buildings.

Historic Square

Historic Square

The natural centre of the town acquired its present appearance in the last decades of 16th century when the square was transferred to the close proximity of the chateau entrance. In the course of the former half of 17th century a number of renaissance houses were built there, most of them preserved nearly unchanged till the present day.

Chateau

Chateau

The former Liechtenstein and later Diestrichstein chateau on the rock has been a unique dominant of the Mikulov skyline for centuries.

Dietrichstein Tomb

Dietrichstein Tomb

St. Anne´s Church with imitation of the Holy Cottage of the Italian Loretta was built in the course of the years 1623-1656 in the bottom part of the Mikulov square. On the south-western side of the church there is the funeral chapel of the Dietrichstein family. In early 18th century the church received its two-tower front designed by J. B. Fischer of Erlach. The whole building was greatly damaged by the destructive fire in 1784...

Church monuments

Church monuments

The important ecclesiastical monuments of Mikulov can be sorted St. Wenceslas´ Church, Church of St. John the Babtist, Saint Sebastian´s Chapel and Eastern Christian Church of St. Nicolas.

Monuments of Jewish Community

Monuments of Jewish Community

The part of Mikulov adjacent to the chateau hill, since mid. 15th century inhabited by Jewish citizens, developed into a large Jewish ghetto with the core in the present Husova, Alfonse Muchy and Brněnská streets.

The Baptists

The Baptists

An entirely new section of the population joined the life of Mikulov and later the entire wine-growing area of South Moravia in 1526 – the Baptists or Anabaptists. Use of the word “Haban” for the Baptists only caught on later in Slovakia, but the Baptists themselves considered it extremely a busive as it had an evidently insulting subtext. 

Kozí Hrádek (Goat Tower)

Kozí Hrádek (Goat Tower)

Kozí hrádek is one of the three rocky dominants of the Mikulov skyline. Following the recent landscaping the locality has become a suitable freely accessible recreational centre.

Svatý kopeček (Holy Hill)

Svatý kopeček (Holy Hill)

Holy Hill is one of the most important dominant landmarks in Mikulov. The area has been declared a nature reserve in view of the extensive occurrence of rare and protected plant and animal species. A Way of the Cross will lead you to the summit of Holy Hill with its Pilgrimage Chapel of Saint Sebastian, bell tower and Holy Sepulchre.

The Turold Cave

The Turold Cave

Turold Cave is the largest and the most important cave of the Pálava Hills. The length of all corridors, halls and domes exceeds 1 km. The cave is distinguished with its “Turold-style” decorations and with the largest winter refuge for bats.

Infantry Cabin MJ-S 29 “Svah”

Infantry Cabin MJ-S 29 “Svah”

Visit the only completed stronghold in the Mikulov section from 1938 which served the army until 1999 following its renewal. You can see weaponry from the Czechoslovak People’s Army and other pieces of outfit and equipment on a guided tour.