Mikulov

Homepage > Tourism > Monuments and Sights > Historic Square > Further Interesting Buildings

Further Interesting Buildings

Náměstí 1 – Town Hall

In 1606 Maxmilian od Dietrichstein sold to the town the unused building of the brewery to build the town hall there. Later the town hall was provided with a tower, which, like the most of the building, was burnt with the fire of 1784. The present appearance of the town hall dates from 1929.

Náměstí 2

The two-storey house with a passageway was used since 1592 as post station on the important trading path from Brno to Vienna. The present design of the house is the result of the classicist reconstruction following the fire of 1784. The Baroque yard wing was originally used as stables. The post office was seated in the house until 1914. After reconstruction in the latter half of 20th century the house was used by the town cultural centre and now the house has been interconnected with the town hall.

Náměstí 3

The core of the house dates from the renaissance period. The inn “U zajíce“ [At the Hare] reconstructed after 1688 was the seat of the salt office and the bank since the latter half of 18th century. This is the house where the cook poured hot fat out of the window to the muckheap of the neighbouring post office on 14 September 1784 so unfortunately, that he caused one of the largest fires of the town, destroying over 300 houses. After the fire the house was extended one floor and reconstructed in the classicist style. Before 1960 the house was the seat of the cistrict court and the prison. After that the house was reconstructed to serve the needs of the Secondary Agricultural Technical School.

Náměstí 4

After 1625 František of Dietrichstein had a single-storey house built by merger of several existing renaissance houses in the bottom part of the square next to the Capuchin monastery for members of the Mikulov Chapter. While the exterior of the house keeps its original renaissance design with rustic graffiti decorated fronts, the interior was damaged by the destructive fire in 1784, when the house was burnt down and subsequently completely reconstructed. The house underwent overall reconstruction in 1953 and another one was started in 2004.

Náměstí 6

In the course of construction of the Loretan church of St. Anne in mid 17th century a vestry with a treasury for storage of rare liturgical objects and material donations to the Mikulov Loretta was built. In the years 1678-1682 the treasury was reconstructed and provided with artistically valuable stucco decorations by Giovanni Castelli, preserved in the original form till the present day, even resisting the destructive fire in 1784. The representative ground floor hall of the treasury with barrel vault and lunettes and rich stucco décor is today used as exhibition hall.

Náměstí 19

The single-storey burgher house erected over two mediaeval plots was constructed before 1784 by the town fortified wall. The articulate classicist façade is decorated with a console plate with St. George´s statue.

Náměstí 28

The house in the western corner of the square by the entrance to the chateau is the result of the square construction in late 16th century. Before 1769 the house was owned by sculptor Ignace Lengelacher, the author of a number of sculptures decorating Mikulov. After that the house was used by officers of the Dietrichstein farm. After abolition of patrimonial administration and house became the seat of the District Governor. The present classicist design of the house dates from 1827-1828 and results from the reconstruction of 1952. Today the building houses the Music and Art School.

Náměstí 32

The house is a terraced two-storey house with excellent high baroque decorations of the main front. On the ground floor level the façade is emphasized with belt rustic work. The windows of both floors are protected with decorated forged reeve bars. In the niche of the volute front there is a statue of the Immaculate and on the top there is a statue of St. Florian. The structure of the ground floor within the scope of the vaulted rooms with cross lunettes documents the older renaissance core of the house, extended and reconstructed after the fire in 1784, when its preserved architectural design was completed including artistic decorations of the interior. The house is one of the most valuable historic monuments of Mikulo. The façade was renewed in 2006.

Kostelní náměstí 9

One of the oldest houses in Mikulov served a town baths as early as in the latter half of 14th century. The baths were still there in 1606, when the neighbouring house was sold by the nobility to the town for establishment of the town hall. The present ground plan of the house keeps the renaissance disposition of late 16th century, resulting from extension of the original mediaeval plot. The house was reconstructed after the fire in 1784, and again after 1945 to become a shop and a restaurant. Inside the house there is a tower of the town fortifications encircled with the house walls. The fortifications were cancelled in the years 1836-1837.

Brněnská 9

The late renaissance terraced house dating from the turn of 16th and 17th centuries keeps the original disposition. The passageway, closed with a barrel vault, leads to the inner yard, equipped on the first floor with Tuscan arcade gallery, closed with cross vault. The originally Christian owner was replaced with the Jewish community in 1798 with consent of the governors and the proceeds of the rent were used by the David Oppenheim Foundation for operation of the religious classroom bet ha-midrash.