Mikulov

Homepage > Tourism > Monuments and Sights > Church monuments

Church monuments

The important ecclesiastical monuments of Mikulov can be sorted St. Wenceslas´ Church, Church of St. John the Babtist, Saint Sebastian´s Chapel and Eastern Christian Church of St. Nicolas.



Church of St. Wenceslas

Church of St. Wenceslas

The church was erected in the place of the former earliest Romanesque church whose existence is assumed since late 12th century. The core of the present building of the church comes from early 15th century. The overall appearance is the result of reconstructions in 16th and mid 17th centuries. Since 1625 the church has been seat of the Collegiate Chapter.

Church of St. John the Babtist

Church of St. John the Babtist

The Baroque church of St. John the Babtist, part of the Piarist Grammar School, founded by František of Dietrichstein in 1631, hides beautiful painting by the leading Baroque painter F. A. Maulbertsch of mid 18th century. The church was consecrated in 1679 and since 1784 it has served as parish church for the Mikulov suburbs.

The Way of the Cross on Holy Hill

The Way of the Cross on Holy Hill

The Way of the Cross on Holy Hill in Mikulov is one of the first places of pilgrimage in South Moravia and one of the oldest Ways of the Cross in the Czech Lands. The Way of the Cross as a whole is comprised of a total of seventeen buildings: 14 chapels on the Way of the Cross, Saint Sebastian’s Chapel, a bell tower and the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre.

Eastern Christian Church of St. Nicolas

St. Nicolas´ Church, built in the neo-gothic style, was used by German Protestants until 1945. After their departure the church began to dilapidate until in 1997 it was purchased by the Eastern Christian Church transforming it into functional Eastern Christian Church.