Mikulov

Chapels

Construction of the chapels took place, in all probability, in two stages. An engraving of the town from the year 1673 suggests that Chapels 1, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 formed part of the original Way of the Cross of 1630. The six “rock” chapels that have now been given serial numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, and Chapel 9 a little way below the summit, were built in the years 1750–1776 with contributions from the pious citizens of Mikulov.

The artistic decoration of the individual chapels that has survived at least in part to the present day falls into four separate periods of time. The sculptural decoration in today’s Chapels 1 to 7 was created around the year 1700, the fresco on the wall of Chapel 8 probably dates back to the third quarter of the 18th century, the painting on wood in Chapel 9 comes from the years 1862–1865, while the wall fresco in Chapel 11 dates back to 1952.

Chapel 1 – Jesus takes leave of the Virgin Mary
One of the original seven stations on the Way of the Cross. The sculptural decoration was created around the year 1700 and represents Christ taking leave of his mother.

Chapel 2 – Jesus’ prayer in Gethsemane
The first of the six “rock” chapels dug into the cliff and one of the younger chapels from 1776. The sculptural decoration comes from around 1700 and represents a scene of Christ praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Chapel 3 – The sleeping Disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane
Another of the “rock” chapels completed in 1776. The sculptural decoration comes from around 1700 and is, therefore, also older. The three recumbent statues represent the sleeping apostles who were meant to remain awake while Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Chapel 4 – Jesus is scourged
Another of the “rock” chapels of the same age and with similar sculptural decoration to the two preceding chapels. The sculptural group depicts the scourging of Jesus during his interrogation by Roman Governor Pilate.

Chapel 5 – Jesus crowned with thorns
The chapel and its sculptural decoration come from the same period as the three preceding chapels. The three statues represent the scene in which Jesus is crowned with a crown of thorns, dressed in a scarlet cloak, and a reed placed in his hand in place of a sceptre.

Chapel 6 – Jesus condemned and mocked
Another of the group of “rock” chapels completed at the same date with sculptural decoration from the same period. One of the sculptures depicts the tortured Jesus, the second an unknown kneeling figure mocking Jesus.

Chapel 7 – Jesus bears the cross
The final “rock” chapel completed in 1776. The statue created around 1700 depicts Jesus falling under the weight of the cross.

Chapel 8 – Jesus meets Veronica
This chapel is one of the group of chapels on the original Way of the Cross completed around 1630. New iconographic decoration – a wall fresco depicting Jesus meeting the women of Jerusalem – was added along with the completion of the entire Way of the Cross in 1776.

Chapel 9 – Jesus falls under the cross
This chapel dates back to the period between the years 1750 and 1776 and was decorated with a scene depicting the ninth station – Jesus falls under the cross for the third time. This motif was originally depicted by a wall painting, though this did not survive the long period during which the Way of the Cross fell into disrepair after its dissolution. A painting with the same motive painted on wood was placed in the chapel when the Way of the Cross was restored in 1865.

Chapel 10 – Jesus stripped of his vestments
One of the original buildings on the Way of Cross completed in 1630. Its original iconographic decoration has, unfortunately, not survived. Today it is decorated with a wall painting depicting Jesus being stripped of his vestments.

Chapel 11 – Jesus nailed to the cross
This chapel, standing just under the summit of Holy Hill, is part of the original group from 1630. The original decoration evidently met the same fate as that of Chapel 8. Today’s decoration is much younger, as it comes from 1952, and is the work of painter Rudolf Gajdoš, Member of the Academy.

Chapel 12 – The Station of Our Lady of Sorrows
One of the original buildings from 1630, used today for pilgrimage services in the open air. Its artistic decoration has not, however, been preserved.

Chapel 13 – The Descent from the Cross
A small chapel that is one of the original buildings on the Way of the Cross completed in 1630. The chapel is now decorated with a motif of the Descent from the Cross.

Chapel 14 – The Resurrection
This chapel is located behind the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre as the last structure on the site. It is one of the original buildings on the Way of the Cross completed in 1630. Its original iconographic decoration has not survived and has been replaced with a wall painting featuring a motif of the Resurrection.