Mikulov

The Bell Tower

A free-standing bell-tower or campanile was built on the top of Holy Hill in 1632. The wonderful sound of the bells can be heard at a distance of twenty kilometres from Mikulov in good weather.

One large bell, known as Saint Sebastian, was originally hung in the bell tower, though another smaller bell, Saint Anne, was soon added. The bell tower was first damaged by fire in 1663, with repairs being performed in 1669. The bell tower was destroyed by fire again in 1767 after being hit by lightning, and both bells were melted by the fire. In 1768 the bell tower received an enormous new bell cast from the old melted-down bell. Its total weight is 4,360 kg, the diameter of the bell is 185 cm, its height 165 cm, and four bell-ringers are needed to ring it. This new bell survived all further damage and hardships suffered by the building and continues to be used to this day, most notably on ceremonial occasions.

Only the bell tower continued to serve its original purpose following the deconsecration of Saint Sebastian’s Chapel and the other chapels on the Way of the Cross in 1786. The bell tower was repaired in 1865 along with the renovation of the entire Way of the Cross. Interest in the Way of Cross began to fade after the Second World War, and the tower became a border guard post for many years until 1989.

The bell tower was last but one repaired in 1991, when a large part of the roofing was torn off by a spring gale. The same year a decision was taken to completely replace the roof, and advantage was also taken of the scaffolding to perform comprehensive repairs to the building’s exterior plastering. The last comprehensive renovation of the exterior and interior of  the bell tower was performed in the years 2014-2015.

Opening hours

  • July – mid-September
    Saturday 10.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m.
    Sunday 10.00 a.m. – 2.00 p.m.