Mikulov

Homepage > Tourism > Monuments and Sights > Monuments of Jewish Community

Monuments of Jewish Community

The part of Mikulov adjacent to the chateau hill, since mid. 15th century inhabited by Jewish citizens, developed into a large Jewish ghetto with the core in the present Husova, Alfonse Muchy and Brněnská streets.



History of the Jewish quarter

Here despite the extensive demolitions in the past a number of houses of the original Jewish inhabitants have survived from mid 16th century when the first stone houses were built. A number of them include typical features of Jewish houses and that is why the whole row of the survived houses (45) was announced cultural monument in the area of sculpture.

Educational Path across Jewish Quarter

Educational Path across Jewish Quarter

The educational path across the Jewish Quarter includes 14 stops on an about 1 km long route. Thirteen houses of the former Jewish Ghetto are marked and described in detail. The route passes through the town centre and is connected to the other foot paths for tourists.

Synagogue

Synagogue

The core of the only preserved synagogue of the Polish type in Moravia dates from mid 16th century. Its shape was mainly changed by the fundamental reconstruction in the Baroque style after the fire of 1719, when the synagogue acquired its present appearance. The reconstruction was designed by the Dietrichstein architect J. Ch. Oedtl, who also managed reconstruction of the chateau.

Jewish cemetery

Jewish cemetery

The large Jewish cemetery in Mikulov is one of the most significant monuments of its kind in the country. The first funerals after the establishment of the local Jewish community date from around mid 15th century. The oldest survived tomb stone dates from 1605.

Mikveh - Jewish bath

Mikveh - Jewish bath

The medieval mikveh is found on the site of the former Lázeňské náměstí (Bath Square). The Jewish mikveh served for symbolic ritual purification for Orthodox Jews before the beginning of the Sabbath and other Jewish holidays. It was used by women mostly following menstruation, before their wedding and after childbirth.