Before the commencement of works there was an examination with a metal detector undertaken by the Archeo Moravia association. Among other items there were 3 coins found - two pieces of 2 Heller from the era of Austria-Hungary (1894 and 1911), and one fragment, apparently damaged by a through-shot, probably a 10-heller from the CSSR (1953-1976). Further a group of bullet casings from different periods was uncovered, most of them from the period of World War II. Several horseshoes were found in the metal waste. The character of the finds testifies to the modern-day treatment of the surface layer of the bridge.

Historic coins dug on the bridge

Historic coins dug on the bridge

Ruins of a farm building

Near the eastern shore of the island was an outbuilding whose appearance in the 17th century is possible to only reconstruct hypothetically, since only its torso has been preserved. A map of the island from 1785 includes a building of a very narrow oblong plan which corresponds to the length of the side of the opposite bastion plateau. At present there are only ruins of a storey building left, in the southern direction being adjoined by an outer wall of the ground-level farm building. It was set in the defensive wall surrounding the island, with further outbuildings added to it later. The remnants of the storey building masonry still bear traces of the sgrafitto or plaster trimming, and some remarkable elements are visible, in particular walled-in window openings on the ground level of the eastern facade, facing the lake water.

Historical plan

Historical plan of possible alterations on the island until the beginning of the 19th century. The island was used by the nobility to pursue their leisure interests and amusement, as recorded in the Mikulov estate’s land register as early as 1629. Here the summer residence on the island is described and in particular the pleasure garden around it. The Portz summer residence saw an important event in July 1672, then with the bridge definitely being completed. Within the preparations for a visit by the Emperor Leopold I, Prince Dietrichstein writes in his instruction to the Mikulov governor to “put fine gravel from the quarry on the bridge to the Island (but no big pieces)”. Source: Moravian Provincial Archive, Brno, collection F18, the Main Filing Cabinets of the Dietrichsteins in Mikulov, Historical plan of possible alterations on the island until the beginning of the 19th century, undated, map 146. Modified.