Mikulov

Homepage > Tourism > Monuments and Sights > Portz Insel > The Border Across the Area

The Border Across the Area

From the 17th century onward, the border between the Czech Lands and Austria running through the area of Portz Insel was frequently changed.

This border was also a boundary always dividing the estate of Mikulov and that of Steinebrunn in Austria. However after Franz Cardinal Dietrichstein became the only holder of the two estates, the political and land dividing boundary was reduced to only theoretical importance, though relevant symbolically. In this way the ambition of the Dietrichstein family came to fruition.

A bird‘s-eye view map of the Mikulov estate drawn up in 1672

A bird‘s-eye view map of the Mikulov estate drawn up in 1672 by Clemens Beuttler of Ebelberg for the Prince Ferdinand of Dietrichstein.

 The cutout of the preserved fragment captures

The cutout of the preserved fragment captures the Moravian-Austrian borderline in the 17th century. Source: A map of the Mikulov estate from 1672, a collection of the Regional Museum, Mikulov, inv. no. 4872. Modified.

The historical map of the fishpond system on the Mühlbach brook

The historical map of the fishpond system on the Mühlbach brook (today‘s Rybniční brook), period 1773–1781, shows the border running through the middle of Portz Insel. Source: 1st Military Survey, Section Lower Austria, No. 23, Austrian State Archive/Military Archive, Vienna.. Modified.

A new railway line under development (1872) was later entered into this older map

A cutout of the stable cadastre map from 1826. A new railway line under development (1872) was later entered into this older map. The original pond was already drained then (1855–1857). Source: Imperial obligatory imprints of stable cadastre – Moravia and Silesia. Archival documents from the Central Surveying Archives and Cadastre, www.cuzk.cz. Modified.

Publicity